Our pellets are made from sustainably managed forests adhering to Best Management Practices for Forestry. Using timber that meets global sustainability standards is integral to our business success.
Much of our wood supply comes from the selective thinning of forest plantations which were established specifically to grow forest products. These plantations become overcrowded and need thinning, much like weeding a garden. Such thinning actually makes the forest healthier because it allows the trees to grow better, makes them less prone to insect damage and disease, reduces the risk of catastrophic wildfire, and makes the forest a better habitat for many wildlife species.
South Georgia’s forests are thriving. Georgia grows 30% more pine than is harvested while supplying the Southeast’s largest forest products industry. An average of 500 acres of pine trees gets replanted every day in Georgia!
Historically, about one-half of the fiber utilized to manufacture Georgia Biomass’ pellets comes from SUSTAINABLE FORESTRY INITIATIVE ®(SFI) and American Tree Farm System certified forests. Georgia Biomass is certified to the SFI ®chain-of-custody and fiber sourcing standards and has also achieved chain-of-custody certifications to the FOREST STEWARDSHIP COUNCIL ® (FSC®) and the Programme for Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC™) programs.
The use of trees as an energy crop fosters the planting of additional forests with their suite of ecosystem services including:
- Clean air
- Clean water
- Soil conservation
- Wildlife habitat
- Green Space
- Recreational opportunities
- Aesthetic Values
Sustainable Forestry Web Links
- American Tree Farm (ATFS) Database
- Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) Species Database
- Florida Division of Forestry BMPs
- Florida Master Logger Database
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Information Search
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) U.S.
- Forest Stewardship Council Global Forest Registry
- Georgia Forestry Commission BMPs
- Georgia Dept of Natural Resources (DNR) Rare Animal Review
- Georgia Master Timber Harvester Program
- Georgia SFI
- Nature Serve Explorer Species Database
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification
- PEFC – North America
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Certified Database
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Promotions
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) Endangered Species
- World Wildlife Fund
- USIPA Frequently Asked Questions
- USIPA Media Site